55 activities—424 pages
Shapes, Solids, and More is a comprehensive supplement for second- and third-grade geometry. Engaging learning techniques are used to boost children’s understanding and ability to identify everything from symmetrical shapes and rays to parallelograms and right angles.
Students will take part in explorations that will have them building triangles out of licorice whips and Chinese jump ropes. They will experience obtuse, acute and right angles with their bodies as they do creative movements in callisthenic games. They will visualize shapes in different rotations as they slide (translate), flip (reflect) and turn (rotate) colorful triangles to make a quilt pattern. Several student books are also included that provide key vocabulary in a creative, transferable format.
Shapes, Solids, and More includes investigations of:
• points, line segments, lines, and rays;
• angles—right, acute, and obtuse;
• circles—circumference, diameter, and radius;
• two-dimensional shapes—describing and comparing, composing and decomposing shapes, symmetry, and transformations with slides, flips, and turns;
• three-dimensional solids—describing and comparing, composing and decomposing objects, and identifying edges, faces, and corners;
• positional words and locations;
• coordinate grids; and
• playful practice.