This Store is Now Closed for New Orders
1. If you would like to shop at AIMS, please go to our NEW STORE, register for a new account, and enjoy the many added features of our new store. We suggest you use a new password for your new store account.
For those of you who were granted Tax-Exemptions or online Purchase Order cababiliity, please contact us by email or by calling 1-888-733-2467 with the email address of the new account you created, and we will re-assign the appropriate rights for you.
2. If you wish to retrieve downloads from this store you may do so by signing in to your account and clicking on the "Downloads" link under the "My Account" section on the right hand side of the page. We encourage you to download files by selecting "Save as File.." when prompted and save copies to your computer.
Note: This "old" store will remain open for you to retrieve digital purchases you previously made until June 30, when it will be shuttered for good. If you have difficulties accessing any of your downloads please contact us.
Math + Science, A Solution (5-9)
27 activities—127 pages
Math + Science—A Solution is an AIMS classic. As one of the first books published by AIMS, it is full of engaging hands-on activities that focus on data collection and analysis. Readily available materials are used to show the correlation of mathematics and science in a unique and exciting way.
For example, in “The Big Banana Peel,” students measure the mass of an unpeeled and peeled banana to create their own equation about the percent of a banana that is edible.
In other activities, students learn to use dichotomous keys and tree diagrams. They collect data using various measurements—linear, time, temperature, etc.—and then make bar or line graphs. Engaging topics such as attributes of shoes, features of fictitious creatures, mystery powders, mini-metric Olympics, the comparisons of the volumes of popped and unpopped corn, distances of marble rolls, circumference and diameter comparisons, ratios of bounce to drop heights of various balls, and more will keep students on task and excited about learning.
The investigations are presented according to the following science processes:
- Observing and Classifying
- Estimating, Predicting, and Hypothesizing
- Controlling Variables
- Gathering and Recording Data
- Interpreting Data
- Applying and Generalizing
Teachers will appreciate how the activities can be used to supplement their own curriculum. Math + Science—A Solution provides an exciting way for students to integrate mathematics and science.