This Store is Now Closed for New Orders
1. If you would like to shop at AIMS, please go to our NEW STORE, register for a new account, and enjoy the many added features of our new store. We suggest you use a new password for your new store account.
For those of you who were granted Tax-Exemptions or online Purchase Order cababiliity, please contact us by email or by calling 1-888-733-2467 with the email address of the new account you created, and we will re-assign the appropriate rights for you.
2. If you wish to retrieve downloads from this store you may do so by signing in to your account and clicking on the "Downloads" link under the "My Account" section on the right hand side of the page. We encourage you to download files by selecting "Save as File.." when prompted and save copies to your computer.
Note: This "old" store will remain open for you to retrieve digital purchases you previously made until June 30, when it will be shuttered for good. If you have difficulties accessing any of your downloads please contact us.
Historical Connections in Mathematics, Vol. I (7-12) + CD
10 mathematicians – 120 pages
Did you know that Isaac Newton was inspired to study mathematics after a fight with the school bully, or that Maria Agnesi solved problems in her sleep? Sophie Germain worked on mathematics secretly by candlelight, and Blaise Pascal made one of his greatest discoveries because of a toothache. You might be surprised to learn that Albert Einstein didn’t do very well in school and that Descartes got a great idea by watching a fly.
Behind every mathematical discovery there is a story, often a fascinating story. Historical Connections in Mathematics explores this intriguing linkage between history and mathematics. This rich collection of resources includes biographical information, famous quotations, and interesting anecdotes from the lives of 30 mathematicians (ten in each volume).
Each chapter includes four to six ready-to-use classroom activities related to the work of the featured mathematician. These reproducible activity sheets range from problem-solving exercise to hands-on learning experiences and skits. Teachers will enjoy the adaptability of these activity sheets that can easily be adjusted to a wide range of ability and experience levels. Complete solutions and suggestions for use are included.
Mathematicians included in this series are:
• Volume I: Pythagoras, Archimedes, Napier, Galileo, Fermat, Pascal, Newton, Euler, Gauss, and Germain
• Volume II: Thales, Euclid, Heron, Hypatia, Banneker, Babbage, Galois, Lovelace, Kovalevsky, and Ramanujan
• Volume III: Venn, Erathosthenes, Fibonacci, Descartes, Agnesi, Lagrange, Somerville, Dodgson, Noether, and Polya